Monday 14 July 2014

Published In National Geographic Traveller!!

Ok, this blog is a little bit late, but i've been too busy to talk about it. But as you might have guessed but the title, yes, i was published in a National Geographic magazine! WOOOO!

I might as well tell you the full story, as it was a fine line for me to even be in it. In mid 2013 i saw that National Geographic had a competition which was the Travel Photographer of there Year 2014. Knowing that thousands of people enter this competition every year, and as it's open to everyone professionals tend to win, i decided to enter anyway. 

I was very proud of my portraits i did while i was travelling in Kenya, so i thought i might as well enter one of those (took me a good few days to choose which one). Months went past and i completely forgot about the whole thing. Then one day my girlfriend was helping me with online banking and she asked "Do you ever look at your junk mail?", to which i replied "course not!". Next thing i know she's calling me over to look at something. It was the email of my dreams! Congratulations. The best words to read. 

Please send us a high res image by January 24th… 3 days away… 

I rushed through and managed to find the high res image and sent it away just in time! Couple more months went past and there i was, published as a shortlister for a National Geographic competition. Unfortunately i didn't win, but i really don't even mind. All that mattered for me was that someone who works at National Geographic liked my work enough to publish it. This gave me a massive boost to get my work seen more by the people i admire.

Moral of the story really is to see what's in your junk folder now and again. Don't want to miss anything important!






No comments:

Post a Comment